tugboat races on the hudson

Read 
about
 the tugboat race 
 on the Hudson

 said it would start 
at 
79th Street at 10:30 a.m. 

they're 
nothing
like
 the
 old submarine races
these
 take place
 in reality
 in the daytime


I headed over to the Boat Basin Cafe
 at about 10:15
 it was clear
 the starting point
 was
 not
 at 
79th St
 or 
even
 at the
Marina
 at 
72nd St

 no 
it was down
 in front
 of
 Trumpistan
 Pier One 

I walked as fast as I could
 to get there
 it was apparent 
a crowd
 was already in place 

I started shooting
 as
 I walked
 thinking
 worst case scenario
 I could
 always
 get some shots 
after
 they began 

luck was on my side 
I got there
 just 
as the
 fog horn
 sounded
 the start 

here's what I got to see 


and 
they're off


Quantico Creek from Maryland
 and
 Maurania III from NY
 take the lead


Freddie K Miller 
also a NY tug
 gains water 
close on 
Quantico Creek's aft 
 bumper to bumper with the 
Maurania III
 (that red/white stripe there on the right)


on 
Pier One
the crowd 
watches 
as the tugs 
race
 down river
 to 
Pier 84 
to 
festivities on dry ground

no amount 
of 
Google'ing
 has led me to learn who won!  

I'll keep checking 
more photos will be shared as the week progresses
over at
Through My Eyes



UPDATE: According to the Tugster blog, if I am reading properly, Quantico Creek won the race click here to read and see Tugster's fotos


(none of these photos are signed, i was too lazy)